Monday, August 08, 2022

Bird-watching and Dravidian movement


 In the past several months, I have tried developing hobbies which are more healthy - I have tried listening to Carnatic music; tried to take a shot at reading the GIta or old texts in the original.

The issue is that I could not enjoy any of these as much as I thought - because the entire Dravidian movement is in my head. When I watch Carnatic music, I remember their derogatory opinions of it; same for Gita or reading Sanskrit/Tamil.
All of it is hopelessly politicised in my mind.
Finally, I found something that is not politicised that way - bird watching. I have been interested in them for the past month or so, because I see them in the terrace during nice Chennai evenings.
So, I bought a pair of binoculars and have been spending some time for a couple of days trying to look at them.
You know how in ads to show cool working places, they show someone tossing a basketball in the middle of an office space? I can never do that, because my toss would land on someone's head, but right outside my window are trees, and there are birds there.
I thought I had finally found a hobby which is politics-free.
But, today is just the second day; and as I was trying to find a bird, I kept finding crows. I did not want to see crows, though. They are there all the time, and so I tried to dismiss them when a thought occured to me.
What would Dosai Mathimaran say about this?
நம்மைப் போல கீழ் சாதி எல்லாம் காக்கா, குருவின்னு பாப்போம். குழந்தைகளுக்கு காட்டி விளையாடுவோம்.
ஆனா மேல் சாதில இருக்கிறவன் பாருங்க - Jungle Babbler, Yellow-crested weaver அப்படின்னு தான் தேடி பார்ப்பான். பறவையிலயும் சாதி இருக்கு.
This has been running through my head for the past two hours, and I feel guilty for not looking at the crows.

No comments: