Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The country that gave these songs cannot fail


I got an exposure to Pakistani songs in the USA, and through the Indian music talent shows. Recently I came across a few songs in Youtube that I wanted to share:

The below, "Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo" is by Farida Khanum. The song has very beautiful lyrics (which I will post in the end). It has many versions including one by Asha Bhosle. The original is a Pakistani movie song sung by Habib Wali Mohammad (which is also posted below).
Notice in Farida's singing that she simply renders the song with minimum embellishment and lets the lyrics stand by themselves. This is such a minimalist rendering and her voice and expression are very subtle. That must be the mark of a true artist. I wish I can write stories or blogs with such minimalism.



Next, below is the original movie song, by Habib Wali Mohammad. I loved this too. Note how "Indian" the background music sounds.



Next is this very weird Punjabi song, sung by a singer named Humera Arshad. You can find a lot of her songs in the internet. She is very good singing live. This is a love song and has good lyrics.



The country that produces such great artists will survive their current crisis - they should for all of our sakes.

Translation for "Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo" (source):

Don't insist on leaving today
Keep sitting beside me.
Don't insist on leaving today
else I shall die, I shall be looted.
Please don't talk like this.
Don't insist on leaving today.

Give it a thought,
why shouldn't I stop you?
When you leave,
life goes out of me.
For your own sake, beloved
Just listen to this one plea,
don't insist on leaving today,
keep sitting beside me.
Don't insist on leaving today.

My life is trapped in time's bars,
just a few solitary moments are free.
And if you lose them too, my beloved,
you shall keep craving forever.
Don't insist on leaving today,
keep sitting beside me.
Don't insist on leaving today.

What an innocent colorful meeting this is
of beauty and love, they rule today.
Who knows what lies tomorrow,
Let's make this night stand still.
Don't insist on leaving today,
keep sitting beside me.
Don't insist on leaving today.

No comments: